Thursday, November 22, 2007

Armchair Travel by Elephant

I recently found out that i won't be taking a trip to India with my sister and friends this winter. The trip date collides with Jim's overtime schedule. i am disappointed. I wanted to meet the children at a school run by "Care and Share," an outstanding organization that pulls children from impoverished slums, and provides them with security and care in a boarding school environment. I'm old enough to know that God's plan is always better than mine. ~" If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans..." ~ from BELLA, a new movie ( highly recommended) As consolation, i began rummaging thru old travel photos taken in Thailand ~ wished that i could climb back into this photo, climb back onto this beautiful creature's back..."Madam!, madam, no, it is safe... He is a good elephant!..." ( after he saw my face, upon leading THE BIGGEST elephant over to us...) ~wished that i could giggle with the tiny, starry-eyed Thai children of the elephant owners in their dirt floor homes in the jungle. How simple and sweet was their life? Taking the elephants down to the ocean each morning for their bath, and feeding them minature bananas for a treat. I fell hard for the people of Thailand, and their incredible oversized companions. Well... someday... ( hint, hint: please read the article about "Care and Share" in next week's local paper ~ thanks!)

4 comments:

-V- said...

Thailand??

Anushka said...

Hi dear V, you faithful little blogger, you! I wrote a belated post to accompany the photo~ I can't seem to find writing time ~ my kitchen never closes between the kids and Gramps... on holidays!Hope you're enjoying your family time... we sure are having fun babysitting Jasper the kitten. Love, A

Pam said...

How kindred I feel. My kitchen never closes, and its no longer a holiday either.

I love hearing about your time abroad. Please share more.

Anushka said...

hey pw, you know me... i'll tell you more than you ever wanted to hear!!! The gait of an Asian elephant feels slow motion and lumbering, yet you are covering an astonishing large amount of ground quickly-- like riding a dinosaur. This giant casually pulled down a 12" diameter jungle tree for his owner while we were on his back...( it was snapped like a toothpick)